You rely on your air conditioning to fill your home with cool air on the hottest days of summer. So feeling hot air or lukewarm air blowing out of your vents can be an immediate cause for concern and a clear indication that there is a problem somewhere in your air conditioning system.
Identifying the problem and making the fix usually requires an HVAC professional who will be able to have your AC back to full functionality and producing cool air quickly.
Diagnosing the Cause of an AC Blowing Warm Air
When you first notice hot air coming out of your vents, the best first check is usually the thermostat to be sure the settings are correct. If a thermostat is set to cool with the correct temperature, you will next want to diagnose any issues:
- Low Refrigerant – If refrigerant has evaporated or leaked, there may not be enough in the coils to sufficiently cool the air as it passes through your AC unit. Depending on the cause of low refrigerant, the refrigerant may only need to be topped up, but if there is a recurring issue, more in depth repairs will be necessary.
- Dirty Air Filters – Your air filter may have become clogged and is restricting air flow. This problem generally only requires replacing the air filter.
- Disconnected Duct Work – If your air ducts are disconnected from your AC or have a significant leak anywhere, the cool air your AC is creating could be escaping before it can reach your living spaces.
- Blockage in the System – Likewise, if there is debris blocking your air ducts, cool air cannot make it from your AC to your living space.
- Dirt on the Condenser – The condenser controls the transfer of cold air. If there is a large amount of dirt on it, the reduction in surface area causes the entire system to take in less cool air.
There are also other problems that can cause your AC to not produce enough cool air to keep you comfortable. A dependable Nashville heating and air company will be able to provide a professional diagnosis of any problems. Even when you are able to determine some of these issues yourself, it is often best to leave repairs to professionals who are able to make the fixes quickly and accurately.
Lewis Comfort Control is the leading provider of air conditioning repair and maintenance in Nashville with many years of experience, competitive pricing, and friendly and professional technicians to make sure the job is done right. If you have been struggling with warm air or you are experiencing another problem with your heating or cooling system, contact us today for AC repair.