Although the official start of summer is still a few months off, the weather in Nashville is already warming up. Before you turn on your AC this spring, make sure that it is ready for hot weather. Taking steps now to prepare your AC will guarantee that it is able to keep you cool and run as efficiently as possible to save you on energy costs.
The first step is to keep air filters clean. Many homeowners are able to inspect and change their air filters on their own. Generally this should be done once every 3 months to keep filters clean and free of debris. You should also schedule a professional HVAC maintenance in Nashville to have a certified technician inspect your system for any damages, make any necessary tune-ups, and prepare your AC for warm weather.
Steps Necessary to Get Your Air Conditioning Summer Ready
If you want to handle changing your air filter yourself, the steps will depend on the type of unit you have, whether it is central air, a heat pump, or ductless AC. If you are at all unsure of the process, but you want to be able to change the air filter on your own, your HVAC technician can show you how during your AC maintenance.
At this time, your AC technician will also check the functioning of several other parts of your HVAC system for optimal performance. The inspection will include:
- Cleaning the Evaporator and Condenser Coils – Removing dirt from the coils enables them to cool more efficiently for lower costs.
- Checking the Refrigerant Level – The correct level of refrigerant lets your system operate efficiently with minimal wear to components. The technician can add more refrigerant if necessary.
- Adjust the Blower – The technician will remove any debris from the blower and check the airflow to be sure that it is pumping enough air.
- Tightening Electrical Connections – Bad electrical connections can be risky and put stress on individual parts. This step will also include checking the voltage on motors and connection points.
- Checking the Condensate Drain – The technician will check the condensate drain in your AC or heat pump for any leaks and blockages.
- Lubricating Parts – Motors and other moving parts on the AC need lubrication to avoid friction that wears them down.
- Checking Thermostat Settings – The technician will make sure the thermostat is correctly calibrated and using settings that provide peak performance when cooling your home.
- Check System Controls – During the visit, the technician will run the system to be sure that it is stopping and starting efficiently and cycling correctly.
With many steps, this process is an intensive one and it generally takes over an hour to complete. This is part of the reason why it is best to hire an experienced professional to be sure that no step in the process is missed.
Lewis Comfort Control is a Nashville HVAC company that provides air conditioning tune ups and maintenance for residential properties, as well as repair services if we notice there is a problem with your unit. Schedule your AC checkup this spring by calling us today.